The NCAA College Basketball National Championship is a mouthful. So seeing as how the tournament is known for its feverish pace, stunning upsets, and timely spot on the calendar every March, the powers that be dubbed it “March Madness,” and now it is one of the catchiest titles for any major sporting event. Cleveland has been proud to host rounds of the tournament, including the Sweet Sixteen (another awesome moniker) many times.
But if you’ve ever been on the 480 bridge in rush hour, the term March Madness in Cleveland might mean something else. Many of us have been there, thinking, “What is this person doing? or “This person needs to put down the phone and drive!” But when that inner dialogue goes outward, it can lead to violence and assault. Road rage assaults across the country have skyrocketed from a little over 200 reported in 2014 to over 600 in 2017, including an astounding number of gun-related assaults. In August 2017, a 4-year boy in Cleveland was shot in the head while riding in his mother’s car because the mom had honked at a car that was in her path, and that car followed her onto the highway and opened fire. The boy survived, but it’s a tragedy that unfortunately we see more of each year.
Sadly, most of these incidents can be avoided if cooler heads can prevail.
Here are some tips to help you avoid the “March Madness” of road rage:
- Move over if someone is tailgating you.
- Plan ahead. Know your route and potential problem areas before you leave.
- Throw on some “chill” music or music that you find relaxing.
- Remember, that other driver isn’t really complaining about you directly. They don’t know you.
- It’s not always about getting there first. It’s about getting there period.
- Get your rest. The more tired you are, the more irritable you will be when driving.
The most important thing to do is relax. We are all on our way somewhere, so take a deep breath and let’s get there together. Let us help you reduce the stress by taking a look at your vehicle as part of our Winter Maintenance Program. Contact your local Rad Air Pros today and let us help you reduce that March Madness.