During a typical winter in Northeast Ohio, freezing temperatures and heavy snow fall increase wear and tear on your vehicle, which works hard to transport you safely through rough weather conditions. While you may not be thinking about this in the heat of August, now is the time to schedule a fall visit to your local auto repair shop. If you are proactive in preventative maintenance for your vehicle, before winter hits Cleveland, your car will have already been serviced, any potential problems will be identified and fixed, and any needed repairs will be completed. Instead of experiencing a breakdown on the road after winter weather arrives, your car will be in optimal driving condition.
Your local auto repair shop can handle these 5 fall maintenance musts for your vehicle:
- Battery Check. A battery may be functioning fine in the late summer and early fall, but may fail when the temperatures drop this winter. Make sure your battery does not need replaced.
- Coolant Check. A functioning cooling system and radiator is essential any time of year, as it keeps your vehicle from overheating. Auto repair technicians can check your vehicle for any radiator or coolant leaks as well as flush your coolant fluids out of the system, replacing them with new fluids for optimal heat recovery during the winter.
- Tire Inspection. There is no time of year when inadequate tire tread becomes more apparent than when you are driving on slippery, icy roads. Tires with low tread are fine when roads are dry, but can quickly create a dangerous situation in the winter. Have your tires inspected in the fall and replace tires, if needed, before road conditions worsen.
- Brake Inspection and Repair. Your car’s brakes should be checked routinely, especially in advance of the winter season. Faulty brakes put you at risk even in the best weather conditions, let alone in the middle of a winter storm in the Snow Belt. To be safe, make sure your brakes are functioning optimally.
- Identify Problem Indicated by the Check Engine Light. When your car’s Check Engine light is on, it means there is a problem with your vehicle. If you have been driving with the Check Engine light on, you should schedule an appointment with an auto repair shop near you to determine the issue. Do not go into the winter with an undiagnosed issue that could be a major problem.
The expert technicians at your local Cleveland-area Rad Air Complete Car Care & Tire Center are ready to help you service your vehicle this fall and keep you safely on the road this winter. Give us a call or schedule your appointment online today.